Friday, October 26, 2007

Visual Represention I

Tonight I have spent a large chunk my blog time generating a preliminary code base for the Visual Display of a Problem Session. While I agree with wormwood's suggestion to use color to represent the time to solve a problem, I did not have time tonight to implement the coloring. This will be a relatively simple addition but I focused tonight on drawing the rectangles instead, in the hopes to get some feedback on the overall feel of the representation. I have my own opinions, but I will reserve those so that I may get unbiased opinions from fellow tacticians.

Here is my first try, based exclusively on my previous ideas:


10p-1f-89p
99% @ 1431 ± 89 ; 1401 final


From a graphical stand point, my 99 of 100 Chess Tactics Server effort tonight was pretty boring as it yields only one tiny splotch of red. However, since this is my best effort in months, I am shamelessly using it as the example session for this first attempt at a representation scheme.

Unfortunately, no time for a problem of the day...

3 comments:

wormwood said...

well it is pretty and loaded with information. :) but it has lost that easy readability the run-length encoding scheme had.

how about two separate parallel graphs, to decrease the information overload?

another thing I would like, is if the graph line could be more 1-dimensional, so that you could use the line to draw a similar rating graph as the 200 last probs on CTS. which is the reason I started to think about the color intensity coding to begin with...

transformation said...

this is very nice. reminds me a lot of a book on the U.S. S&P 500 equity index analysed, according to chaos theory, showing + for an up day, and minus for a down day, over many years, with each according to magnitude, and derivable information as to standard deviation.

Loomis said...

When I look at your graph, my first impression is that you have many fewer problems contributing to increasing your rating than decreasing your rating. I had to think again before I realized it was the width of the bars that was deceiving me. Because the positive bars are from problems you did quickly, they are skinny. This deceived me in my uncareful reading of the graph.