Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Zone of the Vortex

A current training goal of mine is to do 10,000 problems on the CTS at 98% accuracy, maintaining a 1400 rating while I do it--or at the very least, finishing the 10,000 problems with a 1400 rating. This goal is not as easy as it sounds, and tonight my performance demonstrated why. In a nutshell, my session went like this:

7p-1f-14p-1f-3p-1f-16p-2f-3p-1f-9p-1f-53p-1f-6p-1f-2p-1f

So its obvious that tonight's wasn't such a good session. Clearly, my work schedule these last couple of weeks is starting to catch up with me. Also, the fact that I spent a significant part of my sleeping hours last night stewing over the squatter in my parking space didn't help either. So I have been due for a disaster like tonight.

The 53 consecutive passes made tonight's session more-or-less bearable. That 53 passes, however, seems terribly interesting to me. With a goal of 98% per session, 53 passes should not be unusual. But tonight it clearly was, considering the average length of a successful run was about 13. Was it luck, or was I in the "Zone"? Well, the average difficulty (rating) of my problems tonight was about 1415 ± 92 and the stretch of 53 had a an average rating of about 1399 ± 90. So it looks like that 53 represented my being in a Zone, considering the degree to which it is a statistical outlier in terms of length but not in terms of difficulty. Because calculating all of these numbers took some time from my musings, I have compiled a short to-do list for upcoming postings:

  • Figure out how to quantify the likelihood of "Zonedness"
  • If "Zonedness" exists, determine how to quantify its degree, or intensity
  • Figure out how to maximize time spent in the Zone.
In a future blog, I will wax philosophic about this issue.

9 comments:

transformation said...

Very lovely. I am adding you to my toolbar now, or links bar now. I am truly delighted that you are here, and have zero doubts you will contribute greatly. cf my links for many good bloggers. Bias to physical top, descending...
warmest, dk

wormwood said...

lasko, nice to have you blogging as well.

wormwood said...

oh, and about the post: when you start getting a lot of failures in a row, it's never a coincidence. that 53p was the coincidence! when you hit a session like that, for one reason or another your brain is tired, and it's best to take a break. it won't get any better if you just keep going on.

transformation said...

wormwood, i mostly agree with what you say, but partially disagree:

i can 'will' 100 in a row, as i am in that mode now, or more like 200.

have you ever fired a gun? i'd guess yes. BTW, this is not my pleasure, and never wish to shoot again, but as a young boy did a lot of shooting--high powered rifle at age 10.

when i do CTS for 99%, i try to pause each move and collect my brain. i try to breath. i view it as a physical process.

my next big post will address this and other (in draft form). in a nutshell, it says that i am mostly playing bullet chess now, BUT when i do CTS it is NOT to learn tactics, not to practice tactics, BUT TO get myself into 'state'. i view CTS now as a place to tune my brain. maybe that is what everyone does and doesnt know it. or maybe this is just what i do.

but when my brain is warmed up, but not so warmed as to be tired, im ready to play.

and even if im tired, if i keep this centeredness, i can 'will' successive tries with zen like physical skills. sometimes i meditate for a second or two before each try. to practice this momentary or rapid meditation is my new work there.

nice blog, and, thank you. dk

Loomis said...

Welcome to the 'sphere. I think you'll find this a much more comfortable place for your thoughts than the CTS message board, which can be quite clunky.

wormwood said...

all finnish males have a mandatory military service, and shooting was maybe the only fun thing in that idiotic place. so yeah, I have some experience on guns, but what does that have to do with bad days on CTS?

Loomis said...

I think DK was making a comparison between the accuracy of shooting a gun and the accuracy of solving chess problems. If your body is not calm, including your breathing, you won't ever hit a bulls-eye with a gun -- You just can't aim if you're all shaky. DK says he feels the same way with CTS, he is helped by a physical calmness including his mind and and his body.

transformation said...

its ok, we all know how 'nice' wormwood can be at times, but its hard not to be disappointed now and again. but i love the guy despite himself.

wormwood said...

I was just asking because I didn't understand, sheesh!