Friday, November 16, 2007

The Sweet Spot

I need to reevaluate my sanity for starting a blog entry at 3:00 am. But I have been promising a blog on my data mining of CTS tactician stats. I've done a lot of calculations, but tonight I'll focus on my most provocative findings. In the following graph, rating is plotted against accuracy for two groups of tacticians: those who have done between 1000 and 10,000 problems (blue circles) and the those who have done over 10,000 problems (red circles).

The idea behind having two groups differing in number of problems attempted is that the red group is representative of tacticians who have done a lot of problems and the blue group is representative of tacticians who have done only a few. So, the way I interpret this plot is that solving at just above 80% accuracy gives one the greatest score improvement over time. Interestingly, this interpretation is consistent with observations made by wormwood on the Message Board several months ago. His observations led me to experiment with accuracy, though I have taken it somewhat to an extreme--working for 98% lately, but achieving just over 96% in actuality.

I should note a couple of caveats about this graph. First, the two red points on the extremes (97.5% bin and 52.5% bin) should be more-or-less ignored because too few tacticians fall into these bins to give reliable statistics. Second, the error bars do not necessarily represent uncertainty about the actual rating of the group. These "errors" arise from the natural score distribution of the groups and their magnitudes are related to the robustness of the statistics and not related to their uncertainty. I have yet to perform proper error analysis on these numbers, but my feeling is that the numbers are robust.

One conclusion from the above graph may be that solving problems at greater than 90% accuracy results in little progress, given the information in the 92.5% bin. Its difficult at this point for me to argue with that conclusion. And anyone who has taken a gander at the message board lately will know I am eating my words right now.

But, despite the obvious conclusions one might make from the above graph, my belief is still quite the contrary. I believe that tacticians solving at greater than 90% accuracy are getting much more out of their training than tacticians solving at less than 90% accuracy. Difficult (and perhaps embarrassing) for me, however, is that this benefit is not revealed by analysis of rating alone as I have done thus far. So I am still short of proof on my theory.

6 comments:

transformation said...

its damn late, and i am at a tiny pause (for hours, NOT days in lenght) from blitz (as distinct from bullet), but i can say unconditionally that >90.00 is best.

i will either elaborate it here (not tonight) or at my own post, no big deal which, but i am 10,000 certain that 96% results in MORE real chess improvement than 93% or 90% or 87%.

believe me, ive done them all.

why? at a very high accuracy level, we are not so much learning or even practicing tactics, but preparing our brain for real play much as runners or gymnists or balarinas get limber.

we are tuning our brain. we are readying to see the ENTIRE BOARD and FAST.

those who say CTS is no good to learn tactics are moronic.

you dont go to CTS to 'learn tactics'. my god no. no.

you go to get a rhythem of sight of the board against the clock.

you go there to get the habit of checking threats, counterthreats, pins, discovered checks, or the wins that win but arent optimal.

even against wimpB (C) at ICC when i am winning, i try to pratice shortest line to a win, since it wont ever resign, and all loses by opponent go to mate, each and every time. and when im losing, i resign, always.

and, like you, i DO PLAY a lot of blitz, and far be it for me to say im slow, im very fast.

i can play increment with repeated flags headed down to 8 or 6 or 12 seconds, and not freakk out. i keep my head.

warmest, dk

transformation said...

ps, very nice work. excellent. BRAVO! technical prowess indeed!

LaskoVortex said...

dk,

Quoting you on CTS:

"you go there to get the habit of checking threats, counterthreats, pins, discovered checks, or the wins that win but arent optimal"

Wordsworth (or even Silman) couldn't have said it better himself!

I hope you won't be unhappy if your quote pops up on ChessVortex from time to time.

transformation said...

two things:
---------------
one, funny that you should mention him--the one real email i got on thanksgiving day was from GM Seirawan bringing me into a conversation with IM Silman, IM Donaldson (the author of the compendium on Rubenstein), and a third friend of his... what a gift. this was a direct cc and introduction of me to them after a year of steady bcc's ...

i said, darn, now you make me work, as i had to write a long serious response. work!

two, fyi, after almost 300 GM's viewed since July, and 1623 FICS bullet games, then 253 ICC blitz games against wimpB, and adding to those GM games, after a long break, i came back to CTS fresh.

have you done this much?

i have done it many times, and each time come back better. not for three or four days, but a month or two.

now im doing 95%+ at 1540 and the eyes are stronger!

really, its all those GM games after so many blitz games...

i dont know if i can maintain it, but whatever is 94%+ if not 96%, i take what rating i can get. this is after 154 tries across smaller sessions, maybe six sessions...

im busy watching Khanty-Mansiyski or the FIDE world cup, which produces the qualifier to challenge Topalov, the winner of which gets to play the winner of WCC Anand versus Kramnik. got that?

ive also viewed the ovewhelming majority of those games, excepting round one of 128, but viewed all the round of 64, and 32 and now the tiebreaks. this is all better than CTS and, as ive said before:

CTS is now a place to maintain, NOT a place to obtain!

what is the Cocoran OJ line from the trial, "we do not acquit, we..."?

warmest, dk

likesforests said...

I continue to solve at the 90% level simply to track how my ability to recognize tactical patterns changes over time--that's what I used before. And I do so few problems on CTS now that it's not a significant part of my training.

laskovortex, in the past I was able to gain 100 pts by solving at the 78% level, so your observations are not surprising. The sweet spot from a "score" perspective is closer to 80% than 90%, although I'm not sure if it's 78%, 80%, or 82%.

Roq said...

It may be that on average players with over 10,000 tries have increased their accuracy over what they had when under 10,000. In that case their would be hidden improvement that would not show up in the Glicko rating. Further I think that the % worth of accuracy in terms of Glicko points is probably a convex exponential curve so for each % point of higher accuracy you could sacrifice that % for a higher amount of Glicko.